Friday, September 01, 2006

But will it reach the heights of "Raising Cain"?


So it seems that the film version of The Black Dahlia is upon us, after what seems at least a dozen false starts (and nearly twenty years after publication). Hmmmmm, Hartnett eh? I remember going to the movie theatre once, and upon realizing that my friends wanted to see "40 Days and 40 Nights", I promptly left. About the only thing I have seen him in is "Black Hawk Down" and his 2 minutes in "Sin City", and he didn't ruin those movies. I know Jarrett thinks he looks like some sort of primeval ape-man. But what about DePalma? Its been four years since "Femme Fatale", and even that was only a passable effort at best. Never saw his Kubrick rip-off or "Nic Cage Zany-Acting Movie #43". Right now though, my biggest disappointment is with rating specifics. Some grisly scenes?! I wont be satisfied unless the film induces entire audiences to acute nausea. I believe that I would be an excellent choice to direct the film version of "The Big Nowhere". I have some great ideas for the whole "eye-socket-fucking, penis-biting killer" thing that opens the book.

4 Comments:

Blogger jd said...

Well...

1) The fellow who wrote the screenplay has only CHAIN REACTION and WAR OF THE WORLDS to his credit. Both are unremarkable but WAR OF THE WORLDS did contain some pleasant nastyness to it. PLUS.
2)The fellow who did the score also did the score for QUIZ SHOW, SHORT CUTS, MOONLIGHT MILE, SPARTAN, and CRASH. PLUS.
3) He also did the score for COOL WORLD, EIGHT BELOW, TIMECOP, and VARSITY BLUES. MINUS. (This is to name but a few movies; he's quite profilic and the quality of the film doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the scores which seem either fitting or unremarkable).
4) At first it looks completely star driven. Then I recall LA CONFIDENTIAL could be described the same way. MUTE.
5) I think the only thing that will ultimately make or break this movie is how De Palma executes it. I personally think both films mentioned in the trailer are blah (SCARFACE and UNTOUCHABLES) and the closest thing to a period piece that De Palma has done has been UNTOUCHABLES. MINUS.

Conclusion: the reviews are going to make my mind up whether or not I am going to see this at this time.

6:39 PM  
Blogger jd said...

Clearly 'MUTE' from point 4) is to be 'moot'. I blame the Blacks.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Lawrence Krysak said...

It's no Beerfest, I'll tell you that!

2:17 PM  
Blogger jd said...

Let the games begin:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_dahlia/

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home